The estate was established in 1921 by Lorenzo Scavino and his son Paolo. In the 1950s, after Lorenzo’s death, the 11-hectare farm was divided between Paolo and his brother, Alfonso, and Paolo renamed the winery.
In 1951, 10-year-old Enrico Scavino, Paolo’s son, also started working at the farm. In those years, the farm still raised animals and grew fruits and grains. As wine became more important to the family business, a true watershed occurred in 1978, when Enrico insisted that his father bottle their first single-vineyard Barolo from their village’s Bric dël Fiasc plot. That wine remains the Scavino flagship to this day.
Enrico has always been an innovator, experimenting with different barrels and coopers. He has always insisted on medical-grade, not agricultural-grade, materials in the winery. He designed his own fermenting vats that kept the cap submerged and was one of the first to try roto fermenters. Like their father before them, sisters Elisa and Enrica (the fourth generation) have left their own mark on the label. They have sought a return to more traditional Slavonian oak and the use of manual pumpovers and punchdowns.
Certainly an estate that is not content with past successes, Scavino continues to combine innovative methods with passion to create wines of the highest quality. Today, the Scavino family farms 30 hectares with 20 plots in Barolo crus.